Monday, April 20, 2009

Are you kidding me...

Are you kidding me…?

I am sure I am not the only person that watched the 2009 Miss USA pageant last night. The show was great until the Q & A portion when the absolutely stunning Miss California was asked a question by the infamous, Perez Hilton; he asked her about same-sex marriage and should other states, like Vermont legalize it. Now, I will admit that I am no scholar on pageant answering, but I do know that alienating a sizable amount of America, and the world, for that matter is not appropriate.

WOW! She really went there.

I understand how she feels, and completely respect her bravery, as I am from a town build on church and football. I just feel that the priority of Miss USA is to be as inclusive as possible, and I honestly do not know what LGBT people are going to want to work with her after that. It is safe to say at this point that there will be protests, and at the very least tons of publicity to follow.

It is my personal opinion that the sanctity of marriage has been gone, along with the family structure, etiquette, self-respect and a whole mess of other things the church tries to throw into the faces of anyone that is supportive or tolerant of same-sex marriage. Truth is, America still has a hell of a long way to go before it can be said that we are a free, accepting and equal country. I mean, people are still being murdered in Texas for being Black! Come on people, whatever your personal belief is, that is fine! Stick to them, no one is asking you to change them – the fact is –intolerance kills.

The bible says,” The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” (NLT, Proverbs 18:21), so many of us often forget the power God has bestowed upon us, our words have power. I was just reading a friend’s blog and was stunned to read that an 11-year old boy committed suicide for being accused of being gay and the consistent bullying he underwent. Miss California is not responsible for young Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover’s death, but the message of exclusion she supports is. The words that she spoke on stage last night, could have been the breaking point for someone else in the world – we do not know.

2009 has been coined a year of change, and I am optimistic with the reign of Obama, but this is a baby step in the direction we need to be headed. I am confident that he will act as an apt guide. We progressive folk must not be fooled, there is still an abundance of people that think the way Miss California does, and they too, hide behind pageant hair, veneers and a bright white sash. We must not give the opposition anything to use against us. We must begin to support each other. Stand strong for progress, change, hope, reform and what you believe in. If we do not work for the world we want, we will be left with what they want.

This guy I hooked up with named, John Wieners , said to me:

“I’m infused with the day/ even tho the day may destroy me.
I’m out in it./ Placating it. Saving myself/ from the demons
who sit in blue
coats, carping
at us across the
tables.”


(This blog entry is dedicated to the memory of Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover and his family. May God be with you all. Rest well Carl.)

No comments:

Post a Comment